Thursday, March 27, 2008

0 comments Ten Things I Think I Think Peter King Has Not Thought Of...

1. When it is late in the game, you have two timeouts left over, your team is lifelessly clinging to a one point lead, there are 45 seconds left and you start two freshman and a sophomore.....you have to call a timeout to calm your team down and set up the offense Jim Boeheim. Seriously, when did these legendary coaches in college basketball lose their minds? Coach K lets his teams play through 10-0 runs to start a half by the other team, Jim Boeheim allows his team to choke down the stretch of a game, and Bob Knight quits mid-season. Sometimes I think the coaches are a little too focused on building good people and a little less focused on winning the basketball game. Sorry coach, you get paid to win, call a timeout. You can build character by taking away the tutors for the player's homework and actually making them do the homework by themselves.

2. Can anyone stop UNC at this point?

3. Is UCLA the luckiest team of all time or do they seriously have some sort of a deal worked out with the refs? That is three calls in the past month that have blantantly gone their way. Granted, one was a judgment call on the refs part, but the other two were blatant fouls either committed or not committed the Bruins got the better side of. If Bill Simmons were a Texas A&M fan he would be writing a 5,000 word essay on how they got screwed at the end of the game on that non called foul call before Josh Shipp got his breakaway dunk in the late seconds.

4. I am constantly annoyed at the presence of Boston sportswriters on ESPN's First Take. There is some good information given but then comes the random "nobody gives a shit but us" update on a Red Sox player. Today's was Tony Massarotti. We got a quick update on Kelvim Escobar and how he will be out for two years if he has arm surgery. The example given was Matt Clement (former Red Sox) who had similar surgery but never made it back to the .50o pitcher he was beforehand. Then he gave an update on whether Brandon Moss (11th ranked prospect in the Red Sox system) will be in the majors at all this year and about how much the club likes him. What annoys me the most is how the sportswriters can't even talk about a subject without talking about a Boston team or referencing something back to a Boston team. Here Massarotti brought up Clement as someone who never recovered from arm surgery simply because he covers the Red Sox and it is easy for him to recall Clement. He fails to mention how Francisco Liriano and John Smoltz had similar surgeries and either should have success/had success after the procedure. Then he talked about a prospect no one in the free world had heard of or cares about, Brandon Moss, but again, he covers the Sox and this is important to him. That ESPN allows useless updating by Boston area columnists drives me crazy.

5. As a rabid Anti-Dallas Cowboys fan, I think the biggest and most influential acquisition they will have all off season is Jessica Simpson. I can't wait for her to become an even bigger distraction. As an update, I will consider the Cowboys relevant again when they win a playoff game again. It has been twelve years and counting...

6. The Anaheim Angels season is not going to end happily. I can see another early postseason series loss coming for them. Of course, making the postseason is an accomplishment I guess.

7. I picked Texas in my bracket to make the Final Four and I am growing less and less confident every day. For some reason I think Stanford is going to beat them.

8. There are actually people I have met who do not know how to fill out a bracket for the NCAA Tournament. How could that be? Even if you don't know anything about basketball, the process seems fairly simple and straighforward to me.

9. Chris Webber retired and had a pretty solid NBA career. I can't remember one single moment of his NBA career though, other than him walking off the court injured most years, but I will never forget him calling timeout in the 1993 National Championship.

10. I love Fire Joe Morgan a whole lot and I am able to appreciate pretty much everything they write. There is not a whole lot posted though when it comes to baseball's off season. With writers as skilled as they are, I would love to see some more articles posted. I try to post as much as possible so I can go back and look at what I wrote and laugh at the inside jokes with myself. I still don't have readers yet, so that is pretty much all I have.

0 comments: