Thursday, November 13, 2008

0 comments ESPN Has Breaking News From Three Months Ago

I love looking at the headlines on ESPN.com to see what they consider to be the top newsworthy events of the day. The second biggest headline of the day for today read: "Ortiz Said He Knew Manny Had To Go." I pay no attention to the order of the stories but I found this story to be (a) pointless and (b) very old, so I read it. Big Papi (or Fatty as I call him) did not let me down.

(Note: I get tired of semi-ripping the Red Sox so this is not one of these type of articles. This is a "completely irrelevant news story news story.")

HE speaks!

Manny Ramirez protected David Ortiz in the Red Sox's lineup, and Ortiz backed his friend to the media. But even Ortiz knew Ramirez had to go.

I read this first sentence, checked my Dave Barry calendar, checked my cell phone, and checked my watch. It was November 13th, not August 13th. Why is this news? Didn't everyone know that Manny had to go? Bill Simmons, of course knew, but he knew three years ago Manny would hire Scott Boras then demand a trade, and actually predicted he would be traded for Jason Bay or at least will lie and say he did.

I don't see how ESPN finds this to be news.

"The Manny situation was a tough situation for the team, for us the teammates, for him as a player," Ortiz said. "He was trying to get to be out, everybody knows, it's not news, for the past few years and it was something that it was getting worse and worse and worse every year."

Even Ortiz thinks this is not news. Unfortunately those who decide what the news is disagreed.

ESPN: "We don't make the news happen, we decide what news really is and then force it down your throat."

but then "Manny being Manny" went to another level.

A term forced down the world's throat by ESPN.

Ortiz said he urged Ramirez to get along with the front office, his teammates and the media.

"And the media is our family."

The media may be David Ortiz's family but it is certainly not Manny Ramirez's family at all. What a bizarre comment. I always thought the media was an independent fact based reporting agency that helps disseminate information to the public, not part of the Red Sox/Ortiz family.

Ortiz was asked Wednesday if Ramirez quit on the Red Sox last season.

"You know, Manny was, he got to the point that he really wanted to get to play for someone else."

All this new information I learned from Ortiz! I don't know what to do with it. I am glad ESPN found this to be newsworthy.

Would they have won it all with Ramirez?

Manny went insane in the playoffs but I am going with a "no" on this one.

Jason Bay did hit .341/.471/.634 with 3 HRs and 9 RBI in 11 games. It's not like he was David Eckstein up there.

"Probably," Ortiz said. "I'm not going to lie to you, probably."

You just did lie to us. This is very presumptuous of Ortiz. If I were David Ortiz I would be less concerned with having false confidence Manny would have made a huge difference and work a little harder on rehabbing my wrist and making sure I don't hit .154 in the ALCS next year. If Ortiz was really not going to lie to us, he would say if he were healthy that would have made a difference, not the presence of Manny. This is not news because it is three months old. It should be buried in the "Baseball" section of ESPN, not the second headline.

Notice David Ortiz did not blame Scott Boras.

0 comments: