Tuesday, November 11, 2008

0 comments Peter King Is A Raging Sexist

In Peter King's MMQB yesterday he dedicated a page to Barack Obama being elected President of the United States. I had no problem with it. Today in his MMQB-Tuesday he answered some mail about it, and well, he makes a remark that I could not help but think he is a sexist pig...with more emphasis on the pig part, because he is fat. I try to avoid politics but this just seemed so egregious I had to mention it.

• I GUESS I DID THE WRONG THING. From Gregory Wall, of Burlington, Wisc.: "If McCain had won the election and a woman held the job of VP for the first time in the history of this country, I doubt you would have given her a whole page.''

There are several great options here to respond to this criticism. Peter could say he would have dedicated an entire page to it, because a women being elected VP is as historical in the great picture for the United States as an African American being elected President. Peter could say many other things as well because this is an absolutely stupid question and has nothing to do with football.

You're right.

He doesn't even pretend to give a shit about women being elected to high office in the United States.

I wonder why he would not have mentioned it though?

I don't cover the WNBA, where players would have seen that as an emotional moment.

This is perhaps the worst reasoning ever for not mentioning the election of a woman to Vice President of the United States. The Worst. As if he would have a responsibility to do it only because he covered a sport that involved women. Just like every American can appreciate the election of an African American president, every American could appreciate a woman being elected as Vice President.

"Peter, are you going to join the March Against Breast Cancer this Saturday?"

"No, I cover a sport where breast cancer is not prevelant, therefore because it does not affect me and what I do, I don't care about it."

I'm done but I hope everyone loses one percentage point of respect for Peter King for his poor reasoning because I can't believe he only mentioned the election of Barack Obama because he covers a sport where there African American players. I don't believe it.

Look for a post soon about actual sports.

0 comments: