Thursday, June 24, 2010

11 comments 2010 NBA Mock Draft

I am actually a little reluctant to do the full first round of the NBA Draft because I have very little to no experience with some of the foreign-born players who may get drafted in the first round...of which there are actually very few this year, so that helps me out. Naturally, this won't prevent me from putting up a 2010 NBA Mock Draft. I still am not 10% confident in what order the players will be from #3-#30, even after doing the mock draft, but I will explain who I think each team will draft and who they should draft. Then every who reads this can mock me for being wrong and being stupid. Good, it's a deal.

(Chad Ford and Bill Simmons discussion of the draft yesterday was interesting to say the least. At one point Bill mentioned he would draft Jacob Pullen in the 2nd round and then jokingly reminded himself he doesn't run a team. It's probably a good thing he doesn't run a team because if he tried to draft Jacob Pullen he would rudely discover Pullen pulled his name from the draft weeks ago.)

(Also, trades on/before draft night may ruin my mock draft as well...but I am not going to predict these trades, but I will try to keep up with them. Actually, the trades and projected trades have already annoyed the crap out of me and caused me to redo parts of this. So this is accurate as of 11:00 am today.)

1. Washington Wizards- John Wall, PG

There's not an easier pick in this draft then John Wall to the Wizards. Who cares if they have Gilbert Arenas who plays point guard? He's not even a real point guard and John Wall is. If you have the chance to take a franchise-altering player you take it, no matter if this causes headaches to get rid of a player who may not fit in well with that franchise-altering player. Take Wall and ask questions later. It may be impossible to move Arenas, but Wall is, and should be the pick here. Wall may not instantly transform the Wizards into an Eastern Conference playoff contender, but I wouldn't put it past him.

2. Philadelphia 76ers- Evan Turner, SF

The 76ers have decided to create some minor controversy with this pick and trade Samuel Dalembert and create a huge opening for a big man on the roster. Plus, as I read somewhere they now have Andres Nocioni on the roster now so they may be leaning towards Derrick Favors. I disgree. Evan Turner should be the pick here. Nothing against Derrick Favors, but he isn't a center, so he can't replace Dalembert, and Nocioni isn't a starter so Turner shouldn't be passed over for him. I think taking Derrick Favors over Evan Turner would be a mistake. I have covered some of my issues (fair or unfair) with Favors in the past, and he could turn out to be a great player, but the 76ers need another wing player and Turner can play three positions...though point guard is a position he should only play in a pinch because it isn't his natural position.

3. New Jersey Nets- Derrick Favors, PF

Here's where it starts getting a little muddy for me. I think Favors is going to be the pick by the Nets. Most of the mock drafts have Wes Johnson in this spot. That would be a mistake for the Nets. I like Favors more than I like Johnson. In fact, I like DeMarcus Cousins more than I like Johnson. I think Avery Johnson could get the most out of Favors and DeMarcus Cousins because he seems like a motivational guy, plus Cousins is a natural center which would move Lopez over to power forward, which may or may not be a smart move.

Avery Johnson may see something in Cousins and make him the pick here. For me, I think the pick should be Favors, though I do worry he will struggle to adapt to playing in the post with another player. That happened at Georgia Tech with Gani Lawal and I hope Favors is able to share the paint area with Brook Lopez. I can't get rid of this nagging feeling about Favors that he has a bad attitude and isn't a guy you want on your team. He should be the pick for the Nets, though Cousins wouldn't surprise me here. I think the Wes Johnson talk is just a smoke screen to get the Timberwolves to panic and make a move up.

4. Minnesota Timberwolves- Wesley Johnson, SF

The Timberwolves have some open holes at the wing position and the center position. I think it would be smart to go with the wing player. I think it is sort of funny that the Nets are threatening to take Wes Johnson because it would be a mistake and a huge benefit to the Wolves. Favors is a better player and if he falls to the Wolves then they could deal Jefferson. So basically by threatening to take Johnson, the Nets are threatening to make the Wolves a better team, against their will.

Johnson is a bit older at 22 years of age compared to some of the other players drafted before/after him, but he is a good ball player and has played with Johnny Flynn before (in practice at Syracuse) so they should naturally have some sort of chemistry. One of the 128 post players available may be an option for the Timberwolves, but I think Johnson should be the guy for the Timberwolves, which means the Wolves will probably trade back and try to draft another point guard. If only they could also figure out the whole Ricky Rubio situation...

5. Sacramento Kings- DeMarcus Cousins, C

I am not 100% sure why the Kings traded for Dalembert when they were probably going to draft a big man, but it sounds like they are looking for some cap room to go after a free agent in 2011. Cousins should be the guy here and he probably will be. I think combining the skills of Tyreke Evans and Cousins together would be a very wise move. Cousins has the ability to turn into a bonafide NBA center and the Kings need a center. I don't like Aminu or Monroe at this spot, and I think Sacramento has learned from Spencer Hawes that drafting a white center is many times a bad move this early in the draft, so they will stay away from Cole Aldrich.

6. Golden State Warriors- Al-Farouq Aminu, SF

I think Greg Monroe should be the pick here. Don Nelson seems intent on not playing Anthony Randolph and he has completely misused Brendan Wright, so he needs to find another versatile power forward to ruin. Monroe can pass and works well in the system Don Nelson likes to run. It's hard for me to say Monroe shouldn't be the pick because he fits in well with what Nelson wants to do, but I think if they were dedicated to fixing what ails this team they would choose Ed Davis. He can play defense and has the length to block shots. Of course the Warriors aren't interested in defense and they have drafted Davis (in their minds) when they drafted Randolph and Wright. The Warriors really need a new coach and to start over. I think the Warriors will choose Aminu mostly because I don't believe the Warriors are focused at all on defense like they claim to be. I will believe it when I see it.

7. Detroit Pistons- Greg Monroe, PF

There is a little problem here. The Pistons are in deep trouble at the power forward and center positions. There really isn't a guy available, other than Monroe, in my mock that fits these positions, other than Ed Davis, and the Pistons have Charlie Villanueva to play power forward (snickering). They also drafted Austin Daye last year to play small forward (a mistake) and it doesn't make sense to draft another small forward who needs to develop like Daye in Aminu. I would give Joe Dumars props if he had the balls to move back, collect some picks, and draft Daniel Orton or Aldrich, but he won't do that because Orton is a project and the Pistons need a player to contribute now. They need a center, and I think they will go with Greg Monroe. We know how I feel about that. He's a great fit for this team, but what the Pistons really need is a time machine to go back to last summer and not sign Villanueva and Ben Gordon to large contracts.

8. Los Angeles Clippers- Gordon Heyward

The Clippers have a large gaping hole at SF on their team and need someone to fill it. This pick has to be a SF since there are quality players available at that position at the #8 spot. Apparently Luke Babbitt is shooting up some draft boards, but there is no reason Heyward shouldn't be the guy here. I am not as in love with him , but I can't help but think he would be a great SF for the Clippers and he isn't a bad rebounder either. This would be a great pick and I think the Clippers don't fuck it up and get this pick right.

9. Utah Jazz- Luke Babbitt, SF

I hate this pick. This is a guy that can score and that is about it. I think the Jazz are going to see a guy who has height and has been shooting up the draft boards. I see a left-handed Kyle Korver. The Jazz actually have a lot of needs for a team that just made the playoffs. They need to get some defensive height, they need another scorer, and they need some rebounding. If the Jazz are going to take a wing man, Xavier Henry needs to be the guy. He is a good shooter and can get to the basket. The Jazz need more at the shooting guard position than a guy who can play good defense and Henry has the potential to be a star. I see them taking Babbitt unfortunately.

10. Indiana Pacers- Xavier Henry

I know Cole Aldrich would have been tempting here, but I think the Pacers need to go with a point guard. Unfortunately, there isn't a guy at this spot who deserves to be taken at this spot...according to the "experts." Except there is a guy who deserves to be taken here...Eric Bledsoe. He is a point guard, not a shooting guard. He isn't a tweener, though he can play shooting guard if necessary. He is a point guard and he will be a good one if given the chance. I like Henry, but if the Pacers have the balls to take a backup power forward early in last year's draft, why not take a guy who could be a 10-year starter (have I mentioned I love him?) at point guard? They need a point guard, so they should draft one. Bledsoe may not be ready to start this year, but I think the team that takes him will be happy they did in two years.

11. New Orleans- Ed Davis, PF

In my mock draft, Ed Davis falls here and I think the Hornets immediately grab him. They need a shooting guard or small forward also, but I don't think they can pass up the value they would get here. The pick could also be Paul George, since he has been linked to them in every mock draft, and Henry wouldn't be a bad choice (again) if he falls, which he shouldn't.

12. Memphis Grizzlies- Paul George, SF

The Grizzlies just signed Chris Wallace to a contract extension. I am not kidding. He will probably trade this pick for Nate Robinson or something. I don't have a good reason for believing Avery Bradley is the guy here, and yes they have OJ Mayo, but the Grizzlies need scoring off the bench and Avery Bradley can provide that to them. I think George is a good player, but I also believe Avery Bradley will be able to provide scoring off the bench that the Grizzlies need. I like Bradley over George, but I don't think the Grizzlies will.

13. Toronto Raptors- Patrick Patterson, PF

The Raptors need size. I have no idea if they will make a trade to get something for Bosh or not. They don't even really know that right now. There aren't many big man choices for the Raptors at this point in the draft. I see them going with Patterson, which isn't a terrible move, but I think they could do better. Assuming they don't get anything in return for Bosh in a trade, I see no reason why the Raptors don't shoot for the sky with this pick. Hassan Whiteside should be the pick in this spot. He has major bust potential, but he also has a lot of potential to be a star with the right coaching. He can play defense right now, which would undoubtedly help the Raptors, and they can afford to give him a year or so to develop into a usable player. They have cap room to sign another forward or center so Whiteside can develop slowly. I like Patterson, but I think the Raptors have to aim higher with this pick. Whiteside has some issues, but he is a talented guy and with the right coaching (I know, coaching, who would think an NBA team would have to do this?) he can be an NBA center.

14. Houston Rockets- Daniel Orton, PF/C

I like a lot of the players the Rockets have on their team right now. They need a bigger guy who can play defense and really should shore up the power forward position/center position a little more. I have seen mock drafts with the Rockets taking Gordon Heyward, but even though they may take the best available player, I don't see how Heyward fits in with the Rockets right now. I think a big man for Yao-insurance and because they need rebounding will be the right move. Orton is a big guy and I think he has the potential to be a top-flight center in the NBA. The Rockets can be slightly patient with him and let him develop.

15. Milwaukee Bucks- Cole Aldrich, C

I think this would be a mistake, and maybe I am underestimating the Bucks here. I think they will go for a center/power forward since they will end up having needs in those spots. Aldrich is the guy they take here, but I think Epke Udoh should be the guy. The Bucks need another rebounder and a guy who can play defense. I don't see Aldrich as that guy and many of the things I have been reading have said GM's are starting to see Aldrich as nothing more than a backup (not rubbing my opinion in, just stating why I don't like the pick of Aldrich if it is made here). Udoh would be my personal choice in this spot because he is a good rebounder and defender, which I think the Bucks could use. He has more of an upside than Aldrich and will be a better defender for the Bucks.

16. Minnesota Timberwolves- Epke Udoh, PF

He may not have as high of a ceiling as a guy like Larry Sanders, but he is ready to play right now and could benefit from playing with Kevin Love and Al Jefferson. This would be the right pick because he could come off the bench and provide defense for the Wolves. I could see the Wolves going with Larry Sanders for his potential, but Sanders is only two years younger than Udoh and Udoh is a more sure thing in my mind.

17. Chicago Bulls- James Anderson, SG

I think the pick should be Dominique Jones here. As I have explained before, I haven't ever been too impressed with James Anderson overall. He's a good shooter and he has an NBA body, but I do question whether he has the will to get to the rim and not just take jump shots as an NBA player. I would take Dominique Jones if I were the Bulls in this spot. He is a natural two-guard and he has shown at South Florida he can score all sorts of ways. I would also look at Avery Bradley too in this spot if he falls this far.

18. Oklahoma City- Larry Sanders, PF

I like the options the Thunder have in my mock draft. I also like that they have stolen the #18 pick from the Heat. I think at this point, the Thunder take care of their need inside with Larry Sanders. This trade between the Heat and Thunder screwed up the second half of my mock draft, but I won't hold that against them. The Thunder have a need inside and if they don't trade their other two 1st round picks they can take care of their SF needs later.

19. Boston Celtics- Jordan Crawford, SG

The Celtics actually need a lot. They need big men in the post, they need a shooting guard who can score and they also could use another forward off the bench. I think they surprise some people and choose Jordan Crawford here. He is instant offense and provides some security in case Ray Allen doesn't get re-signed or is too expensive to re-sign. Personally, I would prefer it if the Celtics went with Solomon Alabi or Dominique Jones, but the Celtics sometimes seem to know what they are doing in the draft. I have seen Eric Bledsoe mocked to the Celtics in this spot and if that happened...well the heavens won't open up for me that way.

20. San Antonio- Damion James, SF

A ton of mock drafts have Damion James going here. I don't know about that honestly. He seems like a Spurs-type player and would be a steal at this spot. James has Top 10 talent and I went into this mock draft thinking of ways to not have James land with the Spurs. The Spurs need young talent on the roster and they tried Richard Jefferson out last year and that didn't work out like they had hoped. Well, James can play defense, rebound, and score. He's a Top 10 talent and I think the Spurs will take him.

21. Oklahoma City- Quincy Pondexter, SF/SG

This Thunder team is in excellent shape. I would like to see them get another interior player and a backup for Kevin Durant would make sense as well. There's a dilemma here. If Bledsoe falls, like I have him doing, the Thunder are smart enough to take him...but where will he play? He would be on the bench, so I think SF or PF is a more likely option in this spot. There are better players available but Scott Brooks wants guys who can buy into the team concept and Pondexter can do that. He is a four-year guy who is willing to play defense and can come off the bench and spell Kevin Durant. The better guys available may not be the right guy for the Thunder in this case. Having a guy like Pondexter backing up Durant couldn't be a bad thing. He is willing to play defense and can even score a little bit.

22. Portland Trailblazers- Avery Bradley, SG

I had a big man slotted here for the longest time (like 3 days), but the Blazers are pretty deep there and they also have a lot of players at the swing man position, so I am not sure at what position they draft a player. Whoever it is will join a deep Blazers team. I think the Blazers go with the best available player and that is Bradley.

23. Minnesota Timberwolves- Tibor Pleiss, C

The odds of the Wolves keeping his pick are probably 30%, but assuming they don't trade the pick away, I see them going with a foreign born player here....because the Wolves are so good with foreign born players and convincing them to come to the United States (Ricky Rubio would rather play in Iceland right now compared to playing for the Timberwolves). I know absolutely nothing about Pleiss except for the fact he is tall and probably isn't ready to play in the NBA quite yet. I will say the Wolves do need another big man and it is never a terrible idea to have the rights to a 20 year old 7 foot center who seems to have blossomed tremendously since 2007.

24. Atlanta Hawks- Solomon Alabi, C

In my mind, the Hawks need a guard to take over for Joe Johnson (or as much as he can take over) when/if he leaves and it wouldn't hurt them to get a big man out of this draft either. The Hawks will probably try to get Jeff Teague more minutes this year and so I think that takes them out of the Eric Bledsoe sweepstakes since he isn't a natural 2-guard. I think the Hawks will look to get Soloman Alabi here, giving them a tall center with potential and league to play beside Al Horford. I have to say, if I am the Hawks, I would take Lance Stephenson. He has troubles, but he is super talented and would be worth the risk for the Hawks since he could work his way into the lineup. Though, there is always the chance Stephenson and Josh Smith are bad influences on each other and the whole team implodes.

25. Memphis Grizzlies- Eric Bledsoe PG/SG

This has to happen, right? He is the best point guard left and the Grizzlies could use another point guard. This would be a great situation for Bledsoe because he can beat out Conley for the point guard position by late in the season and can always play the 2-guard (albeit undersized) at times if necessary. I just know the Grizzlies are going to draft a player like Stanley Robinson though. It's just a feeling I have. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying they make take Bledsoe. Though I could make a case for Gani Lawal in this spot. As with any pick by a team with multiple first round picks this late in the draft, there are probably better odds the Grizziles trade this pick or choose an overseas player.

26. Oklahoma City Thunder- Kevin Seraphin, PF

This will be the Thunder's third 1st round pick and I don't expect them to keep it. If they do keep it I see them going with the best foreign player available in the draft. Naturally, because I hate foreigners as much as Peter King does, I know nothing about Seraphin...but I do know NBA teams draft foreign players when they have a lot of 1st round picks and let them develop overseas. If for some reason the Thunder draft a collegiate player from the United States, I would like to see Craig Brackins, Gani Lawal, or Elliot Williams be the guy.

27. New Jersey Nets- Stanley Robinson, PF

I don't like this pick and I don't think the Nets will like this pick two years down the road either. Gani Lawal is a guy who can bang inside and gives maximum effort...ok, I won't lie, I just want to see he and Favors on the same team again to see who really held who back at Georgia Tech. Lawal shouldn't be the pick for the Nets, but I really think Lance Stephenson or Willie Warren is a guy they may want to take a chance on. I would choose Greivis Vasquez, but that's probably not a very popular pick.

Let me defend the Vasquez pick then (assuming the Nets don't take Stephenson or Warren, who I would also endorse the Nets taking). Vasquez can back up Harris, he can play shooting guard, and he can rebound from the guard position. Sure, he is not a big man, but the Nets probably aren't getting a quality big man who can provide exactly what they need at this point in the draft anyway. I say get a solid contributor who is versatile and choose Craig Brackins or Lawal (which would suck for Lawal since he may have to play with Favors on the Nets and just misses being a 1st round pick by one choice) with the first pick in the 2nd round. Then sign Wade (or Joe Johnson) and the lineup would look like this:

PG: Harris
SG: Lee/(Wade)
SF: Johnson
PF: Favors
C: Lopez

Bench:

PG: Vasquez
SG: ?
SF: Williams
PF: Yi Jianlian/Brackins
C: Boone

Obviously this isn't a complete roster or a roster that will win the NBA title, but you have a lot of versatility with guys no matter how the offseason turns out. I don't know why I always break down the Nets team, don't ask me...

28. Memphis Grizzlies- Gani Lawal, PF

There is no way the Grizzlies keep this pick. I think it gets traded away. There really isn't a quality foreign-born player to take here and they haven't taken a big man in my draft yet, so it looks like Lawal will be the guy here since the Grizzlies need another big man very badly since Hasheem Thabust will probably suck again this year. I think if the Grizzlies have drafted a big man at this point already then they will go with Willie Warren or Dominique Jones, with Warren being the winner that they draft out of those two.

29. Orlando Magic- Dominique Jones, SG

The Magic have three needs, none of which are especially urgent, they need a back-up point guard, a small forward, and another rotational-type big man. The strength of the needs they have are in that order. I would love to put Vasquez here because I think he would be a great fit for the Magic, but I don't know if they take him or not. For some reason, I feel like they will choose Dominique Jones and try to find a veteran point guard in free agency. Jones would fit a need in that the Magic could move Vince Carter to small forward and then have a few options at shooting guard if that works out with Carter at small forward. Jones can get to the basket and doesn't seem to rely on standing around at the three point line waiting for the ball. The Magic need a guy off the bench who can create his own shot and Jones could be that guy, especially since he can play some point guard some. I would still go with Vasquez and shore up the back-up point guard spot.

30. Washington Wizards- Craig Brackins, PF

This is a perfect fit for this Wizards team and I think they take Brackins. As nice as it would be to get Wall some help on the wing in the form of Lance Stephenson, Willie Warren, Devin Ebanks, or Terrico White, I think the Wizards have to pay attention to the big men...because they currently have very few big men. Unless the Wizards are looking to go small the entire year they need a couple more big men and Craig Brackins is a big guy who can score and rebound. He may not be a starter, but he will end up playing a big role on this Wizards team and I think down the road he will be a great guy to have off the bench. Wall needs a team around him, not just a bunch of exciting players.

In my mock draft, here are a couple of 2nd round steals. I think a team like the Lakers are going to enjoy having Jarvis Varnado. A guy who can come off the bench and provide toughness on defense. Devin Ebanks is a steal in the 2nd round. I don't like him in the 1st round, but in the 2nd round he is a great choice to make. Of course I love Greivis Vasquez and if there is a team that can get Derrick Caracter to stay in shape all the time and not eat his way out of the league, he could very well be a player for a team. Some team is going to draft him and love him while he plays for a second contract.

Let the mocking of my mock draft begin...

11 comments:

ivn said...

Jay Bilas called John Wall an elite point guard "in a league where an elite point guard is a necessity." zuh? I'm pretty sure a team just won back to back titles with Derek Fisher at the point.

JoshuaR said...

My favorite part of the mock draft? When Simmons said he could not wait for the Lakers pick at #30 before Ford reminded him it was Washingtons pick. Thanks for your preparation Simmons!

ivn said...

wow, Golden State took Udoh? yikes. they also ruined your perfect mock, shame on them.

I like just about every other pick so far. hasn't Utah had a big hole at the swing positions pretty much forever? I think Hayward is going to play well in that system.

JoshuaR: hey, give Simmons some slack here. it's not like he's a huge basketball guy who lives in LA...oh wait.

also, forgot to mention this in the post yesterday, but a buddy of mine was at the Atlantic Crossing Pub in Seattle (one of the places ESPN had cameras at for the USA game) and he showed up on TV a couple of times. so that's pretty cool.

Bengoodfella said...

An elite PG is always nice to have, but as I said in my mock you also need a team around him to succeed. Derek Fisher has four titles...four titles, so I agree Ivn, that's an interesting point of view.

Joshua, I am not sure Simmons needs to prepare. He just starts talking and everyone assumes he is right b/c he is funny. Seriously, I wish he would stay away from college basketball, it's not his strong suit. He also said he wasn't a fan of Cole Aldrich anymore b/c he measured at 6'9.5" inches as opposed to 6'11". He liked Aldrich better than Davis a couple months ago, but now that inch and a half makes a HUGE difference to him.

My mock is now screwed. GS said they wanted to do go defense and I didn't believe them. I like some of the picks so far.

That is awesome your friend was on television. I guess ESPN forgot to put a camera at my work place.

ivn said...

holy shit, is Kentucky going to have its entire starting 5 drafted?

also, just noticed the "hasheem thabust" tag. nice.

Unknown said...

Five Titles. Derek Fisher has as many as Kobe. hehe To heck with Shaq, Kobe has never won a ring without Derek Fisher on his team.

And I know I'm going counter, but despite what Simmons and the ABC broadcast crew tells me, Rajon Rondo isn't an elite point guard yet. Dude can't shoot beyond 10 feet reliably and can't hit a free throw in the 4th quarter. What did he shoot for the Finals, 25%? Being able to do those two things is far more important in a point guard to me then being able to avg 10 rebounds a game. It means someone else has to run the offense the last 4 minutes of the game, because he can't be relied on to make a shoot or free throw come crunch time. That's a bad bad thing.

Bengoodfella said...

Ivn, I'm just throwing this out there, but they had 5 guys drafted in the 1st round (Orton came off the bench), but they couldn't beat a WVU team that hasn't had a player drafted yet. Calipari is beyond overrated as a coach. He is a fantastic recruiter, but he can't coach his kids out of a McDonald's jungle gym. I respect him as a recruiter, but look no further than this draft to see what he does with that talent.

Hasheem Thabust is a tag I use any time I get half a chance. I knew he would suck and so did half the free world...except the Grizzlies.

Martin, you are going to get a lot of arguments from people about Rondo not being an elite PG. I think he is elite, but I definitely don't think he is the best PG in the NBA. You can't win that title if you are standing 20 feet away from the basket and your defender isn't guarding you. He has a lot to work on in the realm of shooting the ball before I put him up with Williams, Paul, etc...

Also, I can't tell you how pissed off I am that Eric Bledsoe is going to the Clippers. Now Simmons can fawn over him and jump on the bandwagon of Bledsoe. Fuck that. He's too late. When Bledsoe is pushing Baron Davis for minutes later this season, I don't want to read Bill's revisionist history about how "we should have known Bledsoe was good, but we were so blinded by John Wall's greatness." I am sure he will make up some rule when you don't need a rule, you need to see the kid play.

I hate UK, but I love Bledsoe. I am going to go sleep with my Eric Bledsoe sheets now.

Also, was there any doubt Utah was taking a white guy?

ivn said...

whoops forgot that Orton came off the bench. on another note I was surprised that we got through the top ten without a trade. good thing the NBA made up for it later in the round.

I'm pretty ambivalent about Pondexter on the Hornets. I guess he'll get minutes and he gets to play with Chris Paul, so there's that.

Bengoodfella said...

I am surprised the Thunder traded Pondexter. I had him in my mock going to OK City. I thought that was a great place for him to back up Durant. It's a little surprising they didn't keep him.

Anonymous said...

Lakers fan here. I'm hoping you were 100% right with both Ebanks and Caracter. Interesting that you were the only one I can think of that had both of those two as potential sleepers in the second round, but you definitely know and follow your college ball. At least more than the talking heads on ESPN.

Bengoodfella said...

Anon, thanks. I appreciate the compliment. I love college basketball and I love following it.

I really like both Caracter and Ebanks in the 2nd round and I thought Ebanks was a reach in the 1st and was afraid no team would draft Caracter. If you made me put together a list of teams that Caracter would fit on very well, the Lakers would be near the top of that list.

If Phil Jackson comes back I really think he could work his magic on Caracter. The only questions nearly everyone has had with Caracter was his passion and his weight. I think they do go hand-in-hand. Perfect pick by the Lakers, even though I don't know which way Caracter will go, but he could be a borderline All-Star (seriously, he could be that good) or he could not even make the team.

I think Caracter got lost a little bit when things went south at Louisville. He didn't fit what Pitino likes to do in my mind and he had some injuries. Check out the scouting report(I linked below) on him from high school...I don't think too much of this has changed. He still has the same attributes and same problems. He needs someone to get that potential out of him and I think he needs a psychologist more than a coach.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1112183

I don't think Peter King will have a MMQB this week b/c a family member died, so I put a draft review up and I have more on those two in that. I may be wrong a/b Ebanks and Caracter, but I really like those picks.