Friday, May 13, 2011

4 comments LeBron Apologizes for "R-Word:" Wait...what?

Maybe you've seen this video, maybe you haven't. If you haven't, take a quick look before I go off on a rant.


The next day, LeBron came out with the following statement: "I want to apologize for using the 'R' word after Game 3. If I offended anyone, I sincerely apologize."

Although this headline was on espn.com for only a few hours, I had to do a double take. LeBron's apologizing? What has our society come to? Kobe's outburst at the end of the regular season obviously warranted a fine and an apology. As much as I understand the emotional outburst during a sport event (everyone's bound to say hurtful things), Kobe still should have chosen better words. But LeBron? I don't think so. No apology necessary for that one. Furthermore, referring to "retarded" as "the R-word?" I'll say it again: What has our society come to?

Before I hear the backlash, let me first say that I do not have any problem with mentally disabled people. But c'mon. Retarded is not even close to the same level as the word Kobe used. And frankly, it's the reporter who should have to apologize, because her question was retarded. In her roundabout way, she essentially called Wade's play dirty, which it obviously wasn't. Who are these people calling his push dirty? If she really thought it was a clean play, why would she ask the question in the first place? People wonder why players hate the media so much, and this is why. Trying to make a story when there isn't one.

Sure, the push/tackle may have been intentional, but that kind of thing goes on in the NBA every game. A dislocated elbow is far from an expected result. Andrew Bynum's "Why can't I be better to stop a guy half my size" push was obviously dirty. D-Wade's mini scuffle with Rondo was not.

Lastly, kudos to Dwyane Wade to his response:

Reporter: What do you have to say to people who may say that your play was somewhat dirty tonight?

Wade: Who?

Exactly. Who? I think he's been around the league long enough for everyone to know that there was no malicious intent. In fact, there are only a handful of NBA players who you would ever consider to have malicious intent. When Ron Artest does something out of line, I'll go out on a limb and assume that it was completely intentional and dirty. And that's because if there were ever a player I didn't want to meet in a dark alley, it'd be him (Well, him and Kendrick Perkins).
This, ultimately, is my greatest sports journalism pet-peeve: those who attempt to create stories/drama where there isn't one/any. LeBron and Wade deserve credit for calling out this overzealous reporter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was dirty. If the roles were reversed Rondo would have been T'd up. That whole series highlights why the NBA is a joke of a league

Bengoodfella said...

Anon, you think it was dirty? I think it was a hard play. Not sure if it was dirty or not. I will agree if that happened to Wade then there would have been some uproar and possibly a T.

JimA said...

>What has our society come to? Kobe's outburst at the end of the regular season obviously warranted a fine and an apology. Kobe still should have chosen better words. But LeBron? I don't think so. No apology necessary for that one.<

Ten years ago, most people would not have been outraged by what Kobe said either. Not too long before that, the n-word was understood as an "emotional outburst during a sport event" by many. Society changes; certain words and thoughts that were once acceptable are no longer so.

You thought the question was stupid. Okay, fine. How hard is it to just say that? There are plenty of words that describe your reaction. James picked one that offends some people. He apologised and moved on. So should everyone else.

Bengoodfella said...

JimA, I don't really get it too much. Maybe I am not in-tune with the world, but I wouldn't equate the word "retarded" with the "n-word" or the word Kobe said. I think they are different from each other.

What you brought up, and what is important and relevant, is that he did apologize immediately after saying it. End of story, there shouldn't be a further story. If he didn't apologize or said it wasn't a big deal, then I would have a small problem. It didn't happen that way though.